Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Junk Mail

What is it with all of the junk mail?
Paper junk mail...
Email spam...



I've been trying to think of ways to combat the ridiculous amounts of waste that come into my mailboxes. Piddly, I know...but so wasteful!

We house sat for our next door neighbors for 3 weeks while they were in Venezula in the month of December. I took in their mail every day. The amount of mail they had in one week equaled what we had in just 1-2 days. I was real curious as to how and why they received so little junk mail. Upon their return I asked being the nosy person I am and this was the great idea my neighbor, Carola shared with me....

For every piece of mail that she gets that comes with a return paid envelope she mails it right back to the company with a note, "Please stop sending, Thank you". She consistely has done this for over a year.

Genius! It must be working because they get very minimal junk mail.

Another way I attempted to curb the spam mail from entering my personal email was by creating an email account for freebie sign ups so that it doesnt clog my regular email. I am sucker for freebies, coupons etc...but they also come with a lot of other JUNK that you somehow get signed up for even if you clicked NO, Thank You. I still end up obscene amounts of junk mail.

I have had the same email address with AOL since I was 8. Yup...20 years. I've tried to keep it junk free, this could be a full time job!

I started unsubscribing to all of the useless mailings that I am getting.
Granted it can take up to 4-6 weeks to be removed from some of them I feel the end is in sight.

I envision a Monday morning I can sit down at my computer after an entire weekend, open my email and it be free of the typical 50+ junk emails that I have to sift through to find the REAL mail. Or a week where my recycling bin isnt filled with wasteless pieces of paper and envelopes from junk mail. Us humans create so much waste!

Can I get an amen?!?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes!!! We do waste so much stuff! I read a blog post on Sara Turner's blog about something they filled out to reduce the junk mail they receive. I followed her instructions and it worked for us too! Look it up on her blog if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen! we get zero junk mail! i signed up for a "greendimes" service a couple years ago and it has been so awesome. unfortunately, they went out of business. i have heard before that it really does work if you send those return envelopes back to the sender. it would be good to know if it's really succesful. as for the email: i wholeheartedly, enthusiastically suggest you switch to gmail. i get ZERO junk mail. i use gmail to fetch my aol mail (which i use for coupon crap) and gmail STILL gets rid of all spam from my aol account. it's amazing. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me. I'm going to try the mail back idea and see if it helps!

    ReplyDelete