On the 14th day of the Hebrew month of Adar we celebrate Purim. It is the festival that commemorates the deliverance of the Jewish people from Haman's plot to annihilate them as recorded in the Biblical Book of Esther. According to the story Haman casts lots to determine the day upon which to exterminate the Jews. Purim is celebrated the day following the victory of the Jews over their enemies and begins at sundown on the previous day. Purim is characterized by public recitation of the Book of Esther, gifts of food and drink, giving to charity, a celebratory meal, drinking wine, wearing of masks and costumes, making hamantaschen (Triangular cookies in the shape of Haman's hat filled with sweet goodness of either jelly or chocolate) and public celebration. It is tradition that anytime you hear Haman's name read that you try to drown it out with noise maker's.
As you can imagine this is quite fun for children!
This weekend we celebrate Purim. We will attend a special Tot Purim Service, participate in the parade, eat a Purim festive meal and attend the annual Purim Carnival at the Jewish Community Center which attracts hundreds of young kids from around the community. Asher will be dressing up as King Ahasuerus...fitting huh!? Photos to follow as I made his costume!
Asher's friend Jacob came over this week to play and make Hamantaschen with the nanny. As you can see Jacob did most of the actual "making" of the Hamantaschen with guidance and help of the nanny. Asher loves to observe Jacob and Jacob is so sweet with Asher.
How fun! I have read Esther many times, and heard of Purim, but never knew the connection. Very cool! Can't wait to see his costume!
ReplyDeleteYum. I think I'd love to have a the recipe for those cookies and maybe make them with Lane someday. He has a Veggie Tale movie about Esther and he loves it! Daniel in the LD and David and Goliath (ie: dave and the giant pickle) are all on the same video if you're interested for Asher one day. I digress. Yummy looking cookies and yay for Amanda!
ReplyDeleteOkay, so it is now September 26, 2010 and I am coming back to read this post...because we are doing a study on the book of Esther this year for our Women's Bible study. Purim was mentioned in my commentaries and I faintly remembered reading about it on your blog. Sure wish that you were in Raleigh and could come share about it in person! It sure sounds like a really fun time~ I think we are going to try to make "Haman's hats" cookies at the end of the study, so I might be asking for your recipe soon:) But I am learning so much about Esther, the Megellah (sp?) and Purim in this study!
ReplyDelete