Thursday, December 25, 2008

8 nights of Hanukkah

We had to start Hanukkah two nights early since I missed two nights while I was out of town. I decorated for Hanukkah about a week prior and this is what I came up with for 2008. 

This year we had a budget of $100 each. Something tells me that we both went over, but at least we tried...It will be our last year of just the two of us and since Philip loves getting presents I wanted it to be special.

We also gave a $100 Bi-Lo gift card for a family in need. They asked for groceries and this just crushed my heart. I hope the gift card bought them enough groceries to get them through the holidays!

This is the last year that we will probably exchange gifts all 8 nights to just each other so here goes...
Night 1: I got a whoopie cushion and a maternity sweater from Target, Philip got NC State Coaster's for his man room.
Night 2: I got Hanukkah Driedel anntena ears to wear to our Hanukkah Party and Philip got a Shower Clock/Radio
Night 3: I got a Baby Peapod, Maternity Shirt, and New Mom Pregnancy Coupons, Philip got a collapsible box for his car embrodiered with "Philip's Stuff" (mainly for his smelly shoes etc), an NC State Golf Club cover and an NC State Embrodiered polo shirt.
Night 4: Renee got a Fuzzy Navy Blue Zip Up Hooded Jacket from REI and Philip got a Henry Jacobson Tie.
Night 5: I got a maternity outfit, pink tank top and grey and pink top and pants to wear around the house, Philip got a sweater from Bananna Republic.
Night 6: We didn't exchange gifts because we went to the Bass Hanukkah.
Night 7 & Night 8: Renee got chip clips and THE RETURN OF THE MEREDITH COLLEGE RING (I misplaced my ring over 3 years ago - it was causing a rash on my finger from wearing it too much and some how misplaced it. 3 years later and two moves Philip found it in an old purse months ago when he was going through an old box. That was TWO MONTHS AGO. He hid it away and decided to give it to me for Hanukkah on the final night). I started crying when I opened it. This ring means a whole heck of a lot to me and to know that I now have it back feels just like it did when I got it my Junior year of college at our ring dinner. Philip got new black gym shorts and another Henry Jacobson tie. 

Parents: I made both sets of parent's chip and dip sets in my pottery class and custom glazed them for each of them. We got Dad S a nice pull over Sweater, Mom S a chalkboard cheese serving tray which chalk so she can write down what each cheese is on the tray, Mom B a clock that says, "It's time to call Mom" because we talk ALL of the time and a coffee grinder and Dad B two custom embroidered tops (jacket and sweater) with his company logo and a tickle me glove to use on the baby.

Sister and Fiance: This year we gave Eliza the big gift of buying her wedding dress for her wedding so we decided to give them something small. We got Eliza and Rich each a cute top from the Gap.

Bella and Happy (the dogs): got sweaters from the Target $1 section that say "High Maintenance"

We were so proud that we were able to do Hanukkah on a budget and we were able to get almost everything on sale. I shopped for months in advanced so I was able to get the best deals without going broke... we are saving after all for something quite BIG :)

The 6th night of Hanukkah we celebrated with the Bass Family: Steak Dinner, Potato Latkes, Salad, Broccoli Cassserole and some nasty dessert that I attempted to make that was a complete flop. The Bass parents gave out gifts to us kids and we played Cranium. We had a great time and my mom was better than she and my dad both thought she would be! Ultimately Eliza and Rich were the champions and Bella was ready for it to be over!

We were so thankful to be able to spend Hanukkah with our families this year. We enjoyed lighting the candles together each night, singing songs, bringing back old family traditions and creating new ones and celebrating the festival of lights together. Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays... love Renee, Philip, Bella and Baby S!

No comments:

Post a Comment