Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sweet & Sour

One minute we have Asher and all his sweetness with his little lady....


An hour later we have this...
Passed out sour Asher with vomit all over himself....

...and mommy, the reciever of the majority of the projectile vomit...


We can now look back and laugh at this, however at the time...or about 5 minutes prior to these photos we were NOT laughing. We are still not really sure how all of this went down or why it happened. We were at Marshalls/Homegoods picking up a few gifts and much needed clothing items. Asher started to get a little fussy so I took him to the seats near the front doors of the store so I could nurse him with my cover. The sounds of the doors opening and closing and the shopping carts clanging together were really upseting him (he startles easily). He ate but couldnt fall asleep from all of the noise. I brought him back inside and met Philip at the front of the store. Asher was still acting fussy after putting him in the stroller so I picked him up to ove on him. Visual aide: I was holding him and we were facing belly to belly in the middle of the store and BLAHHHHHH. Just like that. He projectile vomitted all over my chest. In my hair, down my shirt and all over himself. I stood there stunned. He did it AGAIN! Philip stood there stunned. Both of us speechless, staring at each other. He quickly grabbed a burp cloth and stuffed it between Asher and I. Philip asked me what I wanted to do. I replied, "Go Home" holding back to the tears. I went directly to the car. He dropped all of our items (which was almost an entire stroller filled with things) and met me out at the car. Later he confessed that after I walked away to go out to the car he busted out laughing. Asher fell asleep on me as I sat in the car waiting for Philip to come rescue me. If I was alone I would've broken down. I was on the verge of tears and I even had help. We changed Asher's clothes in the trunk pictured above...but I had to sit in vomit for the car ride home. Our car ride home went something like this, "So this is what being parents is all about, huh!?" "I knew this would eventually happen to us" "I wonder if he is sick?" "I think you need a shower". We got home...I cleaned up and Asher slept for an hour, nursed again and slept for another hour and a half nestled up against me.

Needless to say we are still not sure what that was all about. Asher is on a new medicine for reflux and I honestly think its made his reflux worse. He has been spitting up much more often (he rarely spit up before). Burping with crazy digestive noises. He had an episode this weekend post projectile vomit where his head cranked to the side for about 12 hours. We've seen this before but never associated with vomit.

Dr. Matt (pediatrician) will be receiving a phone call Monday morning....
Fun times. Oh and we fly to Alabama Wednesday morning.
Spitting up, projectile vomitting baby must cease prior to Wednesday.
Bless this baby...

4 comments:

  1. just remember with reflux medicine...it does not make them spit up less...just makes it less bothersome to them so they are pain free. i never held haily without a receiving blanket (burp clothes weren't big enough) for most of the first year of her life. it was everywhere all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Renee, I am so sorry! I had a projectile vomiter too! Poor little Nathan had such a time with his acid reflux. After several different types we finally found one that worked. I pray that you find one that will help him manage the acid reflux without the vomiting! Until then, just remember: THIS TOO SHALL PASS! They do outgrow it, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, what a mess! i hope his reflux issues are resolved or at least lessened soon! glad you are able to laugh about it... that's the only way to survive a long life of crazy kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing worse than the smell of baby barf.

    ReplyDelete