Wednesday, June 2, 2010

don't judge

this post is for me and really only me.
but feel free to enjoy if you wish

one week from today Asher will be one.
this is a bittersweet day for us.
its been quite a year with lots of "unexpected", thousands of firsts, and tears of joy
i remember one year ago i was consumed with so many emotions
would it be a natural transition from pregnancy to mommy?
would i be able to breastfeed?
would i be able to handle working full time and taking care of a baby?
would my child sleep through the night...
clearly i was anxious and ready for asher to arrive
i wasn't sure if i was ready for him to come out yet, but obviously had no say in that decision
i LOVED being pregnant
i still miss being pregnant (hopefully god will bless us with more children!)

so one week from today asher will be one.
im not ready.
im not ready to give up breastfeeding.
i never thought i would feel this way
i was surprised i made it this long
so many people think a light switch just turns on and turns off
not in this house, not this mom, not this baby
june 9th 2010...this momma will still be nursing
sorry folks. im not ready to give it up.
asher isnt ready to give it up.
time will tell when the time is right
and NO i wont be breastfeeding forever
nor will i be that parent that has their kid crawling all over them in public trying to rip her clothes off.
we will do what is right for us.
i believe that will be transitioning to nursing morning and night and whole milk during the day
im not really sure how to make this transition and i fear it.
i run it through my head non stop.
i dedicated the past year of my life to nursing this child
im scared to stop nursing, crazy!?
so one year later im excited yet nervous to enter this new phase of asher's life
reoccuring theme? yup
its all about being a parent, rolling with the punches and loving every minute of it.

10 comments:

  1. We let Moses decide to stop. We gave him milk a week or two before he turned one with no pressure. If he drank it fine, if not no big deal. He weaned himself. The last feeding he gave up was the morning one. I still miss it some! It such a special quiet time. He never had a bottle those last few months so it was just me and him. just make it a no pressure situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one bf-ing mommy to another, you are an inspiration. It's something that only those who have stuck with it can understand. It's truly been one of the toughest but most rewarding things I've ever done. I'll be thinking about you as you transition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. trust me, there's nothing to fear in the transition! when you and asher decide it's time, then it'll be easy. milk during the day sounds like a great start. awesome job making it this far, and farther!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you love nursing, and Asher loves nursing, why worry about weaning at all? He will naturally nurse less and less during the day, anyway. And don't worry what others say, or what it "looks like" in public. Only you know what is best for you and your baby, and as you already know, there are lots of discreet ways to nurse. If it is now, when he is 2, whenever -- you can decide to stop nursing at any point, but once you stop, you can't start it up again. Give yourself time -- no need to make this decision right now if it doesn't feel right yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never left a comment on your blog, but I have been reading your blog since before Asher was born (I found your blog from Stella Barker's blog). I just read your post and cried. My little one is 5 months old and I can not even think about giving it up. Keep us posted and good luck with the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zeke was such a weird easy transition (I think because of being pregnant again I pretty much had nothing), so I am already anxious about Ben's transition (in like 4 months). I feel the same way you do, I really do love it, especially because it is hard to get in the one on one time with him being my second.
    Good luck, can't wait to learn from your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have confidence in yourself and your decisions. Enjoy each moment and look forward to new beautiful moments every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe he'll be one! My goal for breastfeeding was always 1 year too, in order to just transition them to whole milk. I offered them milk at mealtimes, and continued to nurse in the morning, at naptime, and then before bed. And they did wean themselves...the times just got shorter and shorter, until they were nonexistent. At 14 months, they finally gave up the morning feeding and just didn't do it one day. I thought about it, but they never did! It was a much easier transition then I ever dreamed it to be. I'll pray the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your blog thru another that I read (Griffin Family) and have been following your journey thru motherhood over the last year. I have 3 boys and my youngest is 14 months. He is still nursing, however it is only at night now and more and more lately he is weaning himself. My second little guy nursed till he was 16 months. Please don't feel pressured to stop at any certain age. It's about what works for you and Asher. The time goes so fast and they grow even faster. Enjoy each and every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know exactly what you're going through and just re-read a similar post the I wrote on my blog. I know you can handle it the same way you've handled all of the other transitions in this first year. Nobody knows you or Asher the way you do so you get to make the rules. Good luck and don't forget to keep enjoying it while you can.

    ReplyDelete