Monday, December 8, 2008

"Trespassing"

Sorry no photos on this post but definitely worth posting.

Friday at 5 PM I was walking Bella up the street. Our normal stroll to the top of our street and back down in hopes that she would "double" as we like to call it. Of course the first house she started sniffing out as she was pacing back and forth the owner's garage started going up as she decided to plop herself down on her lawn to do #2.

The lady came out of her garage to greet the Park's Heating and Cooling truck that was parked outside her house. On her way I said, "sorry my dog only likes to go on lawns when people pull up" jokingly as I was bending down picking up the poop. (NOTE PICKING UP THE POOP).

She immediately snapped back. Your dog better never poop on my lawn again. That is rude. I looked at her in absolute disbelief and said, "You can' t be serious?" She replied with, "Your trespassing on my yard and if I ever see you or your dog on my lawn again I am going to call the police!" Again I could not believe what I was hearing... thinking, there has to be some law about this in my defense.... I'm picking up the freaking poop lady?

Instead of screaming at her "Who peed in your cheerios this morning" or throwing the poop bag at her... I slowly walked off and muttered to her "Ohhhh.... I am shaking in my boots".

I am speechless. Trespassing....Calling the police?
Seriously?
My dog can't poop on a yard when I pick it up each and every time.
This is news to me...especially when hundred's of people in our neighborhood let their dogs poop on yards....and often don't even pick it up!

Bahhumbug...
I would love your thoughts/comments.... tell me I am crazy, tell me I am right.

8 comments:

  1. OK here are my thoughts on the situation - and you might not agree with me. I HATE IT when someone walks their dog down in front of my yard and lets them poop there, even if they pick it up themselves. It really makes you think they don't want the dog pooping in their own yard, otherwise, they would fence in their backyard and let them do their business right there! I know you were being responsible for picking it up, which is more than some people do, but my opinion is that it is rude. You have a yard, let your doggie poop in your own yard and then pick it right up there. OK that's my two cents worth - I bet alot of people won't agree with me. But I'm one of those people who has a fenced in backyard, my dogs poop out back, and when we go for walks, it's strictly for exercise purposes. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie... this is why I asked and I definitely appreciate your opinion because it puts more perspective on the situation. I dont have a fenced yard and can't afford the 10K+ that it would cost to fence in my yard. In the past when we lived with my parents and they had a fenced yard my dog would not go to the bathroom in the back yard. When I bought her we didnt have the luxury of having a fence in an apartment or townhouse. So she, like many other dogs was trained to go to the bathroom on walks where we have always picked up her poop (unlike so many other people). If we had a fenced in yard I bet she wouldnt go out there.

    Also...so I get the whole the walk for exercise but "what if" your dog decided to poop on an exercise walk...is that rude? Would you stop the dog?

    I just can't justify the whole trespassing, calling the cops all while I am picking up the dog poop. People let their dogs go all over everyone's yard and mailbox.... is that considered trespasing and rude too?

    ps this neighborhood is infested with dogs.....that all go on walks. (very few fenced in yards)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Renee... the woman in a biotch!! And I have been to your neighborhood it has the friendly neigborly feel. I am surprised someone like that would choose to live there!! Good luck with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats nuts. my dogs shit in other peoples yards on every walk we go on as do dogs in my yard. as long as you scoop its fine. i only get pissed when people let their dogs poop, look at me and leave!!!!!

    that woman needs psychological help and only people without animals or people with some other issue dont understand this. she needs help. just some cousinly love on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are right to pick it up, but you still should try to have her poop in common areas...it is trespassing on her property, and it can damage her yard, is unsanitary for children, etc (especially the pee, which is way worse!). sounds to me like she was taking out some aggression from something else on you, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. that lady handled it very rudely, but i do know that we never let our dog do anything on anyone else's yard or mailbox area. if we're on a walk and he acts like he wants to go, we say no and run him to a common area, or run him back home if we're still close. it's just courtesy. i absolutely hate it when neighbor's cats pee in my plant beds so i like to make sure our animal is never guilty of that... even if it's just on the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow lots of differing opinions. Let me clear the air. The closest common area is one mile away. No offense to everyone that says they pull their dog away or dont let them... I have tried that... my dog peed on the sidewalk! My dog has an obsessive peeing problem and stop constantly to pee even if nothing comes out...on a walk or not, I think it has to do with being on a leash.

    I believe it all depends on how you initially raised your dog. Did you have a yard of your own for your dog to go in? Did you live in an apartment, townhome with a yard, house with a yard, is it fenced etc?

    Dogs and dog walking is abundant in our neighborhood and we actually have met some of our closest friends out walking our dogs.

    I love you all....but I am not changing my ways and my dog definitely isn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just took a crap on her yard a few minutes ago myself. :)

    happy holidays

    ReplyDelete