I'm really not sure what I would do without our mom's.
We are beyond blessed.
Both of our parents live within 2 miles of us.
Most people would look at us like we are crazy. We feel we are extremely lucky.
They are ALWAYS willing to drop anything to help out with Asher, watch Asher or help us.
As I've mentioned time and time again we have had A LOT of appointments for Asher.
We also have very little if any time off from work at this point.
Philip has been traveling A LOT.
I am stretched too thin.
I heavily rely on our mom's
Last week we received some concerning information about Asher that caused my head to swirl.
As recommended by several medical professionals he was seeing a Chiropractor for his torticollis. Typically he would only go during or after an episode to try to straighten things back out.
We had never performed xrays before and since his last episode on 4/1 he had not straightened back out. It had been over 3 weeks. Dr. Mike wanted to give xrays a try to see if he saw anything we were missing and also to get better measurements on him. I was hestitant but did some research and decided to give it a try. Xrays on an active 10 1/2 mo old are challenging. It took 4 people and they were still pretty poor quality.
Dr. Mike did conclude something wasnt right. It was too hard to tell what exactly wasnt right but he suggested that we get an MRI of his spine. When he had his MRI back in Nov it was only of his brain (which makes me iller than ill that they put a 4 mo under anesthesia and didnt do his brain and spine).
We called our neuro in Chapel Hill. He suggested he might need a CT but to call our Neuro in Charlotte to arrange for further testing. I called our Neuro in Charlotte. She refused to see him or order the MRI. She suggested he see a pediatric orthopedics. I asked for the name of a recommended ped. ortho. Silence. Seriously? No one? (can you sense a pattern here? phone call after phone call...) At this point I was losing my cool. I called our pediatrician and they refered me to the best Ortho in Charlotte. They also gave me the name of a new Neuro in Charlotte because we will be switching. Finally an end to this ridiculous circle.
Needless to say the past week I have been anxious. With a husband out of town all week, the grandma's stepped up to the plate. They constantly filled my head with positive thoughts, helped me "think through things" and allowed me to advocate for Asher in the best way possible. I am forever thankful for them ALWAYS.
Luckily Dr. Frick (a member of our temple) practices with Dr. Brighton who specializes in pediatric spinal cases. We brought the xraysto Dr. Frick before his appointment for him to review and confer with Dr. Brighton before Asher's appointment. Dr. Frick even called me at home the day before our appointment to discuss the films. Pretty impressive, these days.
We arrived on time for our appointment. 2:15. They called us back before I had even completed the paperwork. Again both mom's were with me. Thank heavens, because A-man is a squirmer now and I am one of those mom's that is pretty grossed out by Dr's offices and the ever abundant amount of germs in the waiting rooms even if it was an ortho dr.
They took us back. Weighed Asher for the first time in 2 months. He is finally leveling out. Only a little more than a lb weight gain since his 9 month appointment. 24 lbs 9 oz. Then the waiting began. 1 hour passed. Nap time passed with no nap. Angel child was still happy as a peach. Finally 90 minutes later this young handsome Dr (must have been a resident) came in to apologize for the delay. 6 scoliosis patients scheduled when 4 is their max for day. All before Asher's appointment. I guess we can't complain since we were squeezed in.
They took Asher and I back for some x-rays. Again he was an angel. Where did this kid come from? He smiles at everyone, babbles up a storm, plays and waits patiently. I was terrible at his age. TERRIBLE doesnt even describe it. We waited at least another 30 minutes. Nursed in the waiting room. Asher learned how to spin the dr's stool thanks to Softa.
Finally two hours after our arrival the Dr. came in and apologized again. The conclusion was "inconclusive". Nice huh...?! So he requested we perform an MRI with sedation of his entire spine and brain. Yes, please, thank you. I swear I need to change professions.
Between when I started this post and now (which is about a week in length) Asher had another episode. I was heading home from a business trip in Raleigh. Philip was acting strange on the phone with me. It was 8:30 pm. I arrived home close to 9 pm. "Well we need to discuss what took place tonight, Asher had an episode" ...my heart sank. I thought, "I wasn't here to comfort him... thank heavens for such an amazing dad who didn't skip a beat" It turns out not only did he have an episode but he ended up getting two bath's because he projectile vomited all over himself and Philip. This meant Philip took a bath with him. Sounds like fun, actually. He also went to bed without a bottle. I appreciated Philip not telling me till I was at the house so I wouldnt panic alone, driving in the car. We decided to wake Asher up at 11 PM so I could nurse him and at least get something in his stomach. That was a success. He still seemed pretty crooked. The pediatric ortho wanted to see him immediately after an episode so he could assess his "banana position". Go figure...he woke up perfectly straight for the first time after an episode since he was 3 months old.
The good news... it lit a fire under them to schedule his MRI which takes forever because of scheduling anesthesia, insurance pre certification and who knows what else.... We are scheduled for May 17th at 12 noon. Say a little prayer for the little man. The MRI will be performed at The Levine's Children's Hospital here in Charlotte. More updates to follow!
Oh and I'm really behind on posts. As you can see my life has been a little busy....
in addition to traveling for work (way more than I desire, but hopefully that is over for some time), getting ridiculously crafty for the BIG FIRST BIRTHDAY PARTY, working in the yard and trying to keep this house together. I cant tell you how many times I think how great something would be to put on the blog only to fall asleep at the computer each night. Yup, I'm that girl.
Renee, thank you for sharing the real life struggles and joys of your life! I will be praying for you and Asher as you appraoch the MRI and pray that they will find some conclusive answers as to why he is having these episodes.
ReplyDeletePS. Praise the Lord for grandmas! So glad you live close to both of Asher's grandparents! What a blessing. Happy Mother's Day!
will be praying for the MRI! i hope you get some answers.
ReplyDeleteI'm obviously behind on writing and reading posts myself. I finally caught up on your blog and pfew! You've been busy and had a lot on your plate. I hope the MRI goes well. Also, as I was reading this post I love the fact that Softa taught him to spin the dr's stool. Leave it to a grandmother to come up with that stuff. My mom is always introducing fun stuff to the boys that I don't think about.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I enjoyed all your posts from this one up to the wipped cream :). Glad to be caught up finally!