This is the first week of our Crop Share and this is what it contained:
Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce
Limestone Bibb Lettuce
Carrots
Spinach
Easter Egg Radishes
D’ Avignon Radishes
Hakurei and Scarlett Queen Turnips
Beet Greens
Green Garlic
The turnips are salad turnips and are not your Grandma’s turnips. In addition to eating them raw or on your salad, you can sauté them or roast them in olive oil along with the carrots and the garlic. The carrots were over wintered under floating row covers. The garlic is fresh pulled green garlic (bulbed up, but not cloved up) and can be chopped or diced and used the way you normally use garlic.
The D’Avignon or French Breakfast radishes are a good snack dipped in butter and sea salt. If you don’t intend to eat your radishes or carrots within the next couple of days, clip the tops off for storage.
Looks like I will need some recipies...because I've never eaten turnips or Beet Greens in my life!!!! I just snagged one off the farms website to try:
Sautéed Turnips
6 turnips, bottoms and stalks trimmed, then quartered
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper
1 ½ tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
Heat oil over medium heat and cook garlic, shallot and pepper for 2 minutes. Add turnips, stirring occasionally. After 4 minutes, add paprika and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add red wine vinegar and cook until reduced, about 2-3 minutes.
----------------
Thanks for the turnip recipe- we received bunches of turnips in our produce box too and I really didn't know what to do with them. I'm going to try that recipe! Looks yummy!
ReplyDelete