Monday, December 1, 2008

The rumor's are true.....We are expecting!


Baby Schreibman is due June 7 2009!
After many many months of patience I am finally pregnant and we are having a baby!

13 weeks pregnant and not a lick of morning sickness. Don't hate me.

It was quite a journey for us so let me go back 11 months ago to share with you what I have kept such a tight secret for the past 3+ months from the blogging world....and so many people.

Our story....

I came off my birth control in March thinking that I was going to get pregnant right away...boy was I wrong. My body had something totally different in store for me. After waiting patiently for 60 days and no period I called the doctor concerned. She gave me a drug called Provera which ultimately is supposed to force on a period. I took the 10 day dose and waited another 2 weeks as instructed. Once my period would come the doctor wanted me to immediately go on to Clomid because I was obviously not ovulating. I was extremely skeptical because I figured....why can't we try on our own for a little bit. I quickly learned that was not god's plan for us.
NOTHING.....Over 100 days had passed and I still had not completed one full cycle. Finally at 120 days out my doctor put me back on birth control for one month to hopefully force a period. 30 days later... NOTHING but very light spotting. Unfortunately at this point we had no choice but to go on the Clomid. I started off the first month taking 50 mg (the lowest dose). I took the medicine chart day 5-9. The side effects were brutal. Mood swings, cramping, bloating, horrible acne and welts, hot flashes, exhaustion....and the list goes on. I was sick for about 3 1/2 weeks of what was supposed to be a 4 week cycle. On chart day 21 I had my Progresterone blood level drawn to find out that the medication didn't work and I didnt Ovulate as we had hoped. My level was 1....Pathetic. The doctor decided that because the medication didnt do much of anything that she would jack the dose up to 150 mg. I was pretty nervous about taking the drugs due to the increase in dose in addition to a company trip to Vegas. After last months side effects I was concerned I might feel sick again on our company trip. Luckily the 2nd month was a breeze compared to the first. I was only sick for one week and it was much later on. I had an ultrasound on chart day 11 and I had three follicles on my right ovary and 3 on the left that ranged from 10-14 mm....PERFECT! On chart day 21 I went in and found out that I had officially Ovulated on this new dose! YIPPEE...now the prayer came into play! I patiently waited and waited and waited to test..... secretly. Philip kept asking me when I was testing but I wanted it to be a surprise. Sunday night Oct 28th I had a little bit of spotting but knew that this was often a sign of implantation so I tested.... You would've thought I was making it up if I were to show you the test but I swore there was the faintest of faint lines. Somehow I decided to wait and test again in the morning. I laid in bed from 11 PM - 3 AM tossing and turning, but NOT sleeping. I tried to listen to my ipod to put me to sleep but nothing worked. Around 3 AM I decided to test again in the middle of the night (after holding my first morning urine for 5 hours) with a First Response Early Response test that can pick up results better than any other test (4-5 days earlier than most) and after anxiously waiting for 3 minutes - PREGNANT SHOWED UP ON THE TEST!!!!. It was 3 am.....

I didn't want to wake Philip because I had planned out exactly how I would share the news. I had put together a tool belt that says "Dad's Tool Belt" on it. I made this from scratch . Philip had always wanted a tool belt so I couldnt think of a better way to show him he was about to be a daddy. I stuffed the tool belt with everything "baby". The Expectant Father, diapers, Butt Paste, Pacifier's, syringe's, burp cloth's you name it. I wrapped it up in a box and put the positive test right on top of the tool belt. It just so happened that this day was Erev (night before) Rosh Hashannah (the Jewish New Year!). I told him that I bought him a gift for the Jewish New Year and I wanted him to open it. Philip loves gifts for any occassion so he was all in. Word's can't explain how excited we were to finally be able to celebrate together after a stressful couple of months with the fertility drugs. We were beyond elated.....


BUT we had to keep it to ourselves! Philip's mom was extremely busy with the Temple and the Jewish High Holiday's and we wanted to be able to tell our parents together the exciting news. We waited three LONG days till we could get them all together. I had been working on a slideshow for a month or two that was a recap of the past 12 months we had lived in Charlotte since it was our 1 year celebration in our house. I invited the parents over to see the slideshow and have dinner after the holidays. Philip brought home a projector from work and we projected the slideshow set to music on our wall in our family room. The first slide read "First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a move to Charlotte..." The last slide was the positive test witht the words..."Then Comes a baby....Baby Schreibman Due June 7, 2009" We set up a hidden camera and caught their reaction on tape. It was priceless but my firewire isn't work so i can trasnfer the video to the computer :(. Needless to say it included a lot of screaming, tears and "I knew it!"

We couldn't be more excited and now that the first trimester is past us we are living in the moment and enjoying every single day of this pregnancy.

I have been able to maintain my same workout regime throughout the entire first trimester, 4-5 days a week for 90 minutes. I have been craving cheese burger's, sushi (which I still eat cooked) and peanut butter sandwiches. I have been extremely thirsty drinking 10-12+ , 8 oz glasses of water a day. I can even stay up till 10, 11, 12 PM at night! I wake up every two hours to go to the bathroom at night and have had many tension headaches...but NO morning sickness.
I am so thankful that after a few months of misery on fertility drugs that g-d granted me a lovely first trimester!
So far no bump.... but I am sure in the next 2-4 weeks my baby bump will become much more obvious.....and I will share when there is something to show for it! We go for our first trimester screenings on Tuesday and will update with an ultrasound photo then! I am looking forward to finally opening up about being pregnant and sharing all of the experiences.

We are so blessed!

8 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congratulations! I am so happy for you. The struggle of infertility is like no other. I'm thankful for your miracle to be on its way. Can't wait to see ultrasound pictures AND your bump when it appears! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i knew it! Did you see the last comment I posted a while ago? I think you never approved it b/c I hinted at this... I am due like 3 weeks after you. Glad to hear you're feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Exciting you could finally share! I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO Happy for you!! You are going to be an AWESOME MOMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I wasn't ever sick either, and it was a huge blessing! I loved your slideshow idea, I bet their reactions were so great. Your mom's got a baby and a wedding on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS, Renee! I am so excited for you and Phillip! And praise God that you haven't been sick during the pregnancy, though you went through all the fertility sickness... Praying for a continued healthy pregnancy! Congratulations! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exciting time for you both!! That little one will steal your heart...be prepared! :) Can't wait to hear the updates!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I came across your blog via a mutual friend & thought your story was so sweet. I love how you told your husband & family! So creative! I too went through fertility though so I can understand your excitement. (We kept it a secret from family at first, but it went on too long & got too involved). I'm glad you have had an easy time so far in your pregnancy as well. I did as well, maybe it's a tradeoff :) Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness!! Congrats Renee!! I love the tool belt idea... SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete