We completed the week with date night at Del Frisco's. We got all gussied up and headed to SouthPark for a nice dinner. When we got there they sat us at our table... in the corner and Philip was facing a wall and truly could not see anyone in the restaurant. As much as he loves me staring at a wall for an hour long dinner at one of the more expensive restaurants in Charlotte did not appease him. The food however we delicious and we even got to enjoy Oysters which is one of our favorites. After dinner we visited the Home Depot Design Center. This place is awesome. I am so glad he didn't take me there when we were building our house or the first few months we were busy with home projects because I could've gotten carried away in there.
We returned home and I finished my book. I might have read this in record time...at least for me. 400+ pages in 10 days! It was a great read - The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes. I really wanted to pick up another book but I guess I need to finish the stack of books on my bed side table that include: Those Who Saved Us and Loving Frank. If only I could get into one of these books...
I have found a love for yard work. I am not sure what it is about it that I love but I find it so rewarding. I love watching everything grow and bloom and knowing that we had a hand in making it happen. We have definitely had our fair share of learning experiences. I ripped out all of the pansies in the front that had been blooming since March because they were fading. We also ripped out the tall erect bush that we truly despised since we moved in and replaced all of the flowers and bushses in the front with Pink and Yellow Lantanna's to blend well with our yellow mums that are popping back up from the fall! While I was leaning over the flower bed I felt this instant sting and realize I had just leaned my shin/ calf/leg into a MASSIVE KILLER ANT HILL that had made it home in our flower bed. My calf area was covered with killer red ants! I was attacked by killer ants a few weeks ago in my neighbors yard and it was pretty harmless however this was much different. I can't explain to you the fear and panic that I had this time. I have developed a phobia of KILLER ANTS and ANTS in general. By that evening my leg had swollen and welts had formed on my leg....that have progessed to puss filled welts that itch, burn and throb. Damn you ants....The next day we went back out to take a look at what was really there. WOW... I wish I had my camera. Thousands of frantic ants. Hopefully we killed the entire COLONY.
Welts before they got really swollen
Philip mowed the VERY LONG grass while I tore the pinestraw off the remaining beds in the backyard that didnt have weed protection, laid the weed control fabric and re-fluffed the pinestraw. While I was doing this I decded to de-weed the backyard....what a job! We realized over the past few weeks that one of our four butterfly bushes was dead and another was on its way. I dug it up and brought it back to the nursery for some feedback. Where did we go wrong? As I approached the nursery the gentleman said...."How in the heck did you kill a butterfly bush?" I was thinking, "Genius, if I knew I wouldn't be here!" It turned out that our landscaper smothered the ROOT BALL of the bush and the branches/root ball rotted. In an attempt to save the dying bush Philip put the gator bag around it and drowned the bush. The nursery employees got a kick out of it and kept the bush to show customers what NOT to do....obviously we are still learning. I purchased a dwarf blood red crape myrtle to replace the butterfly bush and am convinced we will enjoy this much more than the butterfly bushes. Good laughs for everyone.
The dead bush compared to the flowering bush
Our good friend's Summer and Matt Minchew are moving to DC in the next few weeks and we went to their going away party on Saturday. We are sad to see them go but know that DC will bring many new beginnings for them. Matt will be attending Maryland for his MBA and Summer located a new job working for a Design Firm. They will be greatly missed over the next two years but they won't be strangers with all of their family here in Charlotte.
Summer, Jenny (her sister-in-law) and I
We got in some great pool time this weekend and even indulged in our favorite dinner, Taco Night with my parents to wrap up the weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment