This isnt meant to be an "educational blog" BUT... for those that read and do not know... I would love to fill you in about the ceremony/celebration that we are planning 8 days after Asher's birth! I am sure come time for the Bris I wont be one bit "excited" about it, however I understand the meaning behind this ceremony and procedure enough to know that is a very special part of the birth of our son!

The question is: What is a Bris?
The word Bris means covenant; the word Milah, to cut.
A Bris is a religious ceremony within Judaism to welcome infant Jewish boys into a covenant between God and the Children of Israel through ritual circumsion performed by a mohel ("circumciser").
Bris Milah
Judaism views body and soul as holy partners in serving G-d. Therefore, the bris is performed on the most physical part, for all of man is holy before his Creator. Bris Milah joins the forces of body and soul together in serving G-d.
Why on the 8th day?
The kabbalistic writings teach us that seven days represent the physical world of creation. Thus, when a child has lived for eight days, he has transcended the physical to the metaphysical. The covenant joining body and soul, physical and spiritual, can now take place. A bris has no meaning when performed before the eighth day.
The Bris ceremony has two parts: The actual circumcision and the naming.
The actual circumsion will take place in a private room with immediate family prior to the ceremony. This will be performed by a Mohel, who is trained and certified to perform circumsion and in our case is a medical doctor. The service will be performed by our two Rabbi's: Rabbi Judy and Rabbi Micah. Both of them have paid a very large part in our lives as a couple and it is only fitting that they both be a part of this joyous occassion (if in fact they are in town on the 8th day!) It is customary to honor family and friends to participate in holding the baby at various parts of the bris. The highest honor is to be the sandak, who holds the baby during the actual circumcision. The grandfather's will serve as the sandak's each holding Asher at a different part during the ceremony.
It is not required to have a minyan- a group of ten at the bris. The parents can choose to have a private ceremony on the eighth day and have a reception on a later day when they are more rested. We will however have them all at the same time opening the Bris up to the entire community and for anyone that wants to be a part of the ceremony and celebrate with us.
The naming of the child is the most emotional part of many bris ceremonies. Ashkenazic-European Jews have the custom of naming after the deceased. The immortalizing of a close relative or friend is a beautiful tradition, (Renee's grandfathers). Sephardic Jews have the tradition to name after the living (Philip's neice, Aunt, Grandfather and Great Grandmother) . A child may have one or more names, in accordance with the parents' desires.
Asher will most likely wear the very same outfit to his Bris that Philip wore at his. It does in fact look like a dress but its really a gown that has an opening at the bottom for "easy access". This will allow his wound to air and heal after the procedure. After the ceremony we will all join together for some wonderful celebratory meal (Seudat Mitzvah)
We plan to host this celebration at Softa and Papu's Home (Philip's Parents). It will most likely take place outside weather permitting!
********
More exciting news.... we finally have names for the grandparents.
After much discussion we present to you:
Softa and Papu (Grandma in Hebrew and Grandpa in Sephardic Hebrew for Philip's Parents)
Nana and Poppy (Renee's Parents)
WE LOVE THEIR NAMES and can't wait for Asher to meet his grandparents!
ALL FOUR OF THEM!!!!!!
I really enjoyed reading this post. I always knew circumcision was a very important Jewish tradition, but not all the meaning behind it. I'm so glad you shared.
ReplyDeleteI understand your motherly instinct to be excited about the event, but not-so-much on the actual day. You don't want your little boy to be in pain I know! But it really sounds like a special event for family and friends and think it is so sweet he's wearing Philip's gown!
Love the grandparent's names too!
p.s. the cartoon is a riot.
ReplyDeleteRenee, thank you for explaining all about the Bris for those of us not within the Jewish faith. I too have heard about this special ceremony, as well as the significance of the coventant that circumsion represents. But I loved hearing all the aspects of the ceremony that I was not familiar with.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the names that you all have chosen for the Grandparents. So special!
Praying for you as you near the end of the pregnancy! Almost there!
I get the meaning...but I'm glad I don't have any boys because OMG that seems like a lot of pain to put a little tiny person through!
ReplyDelete