Task:
- Matzah Ball Soup for approximately 20.
- Home made organic chicken broth - Done Monday night
- Make Matzah Balls x40 - Done Tuesday night and put in fridge till next day.
- Drop balls in boiling broth and watch them grow to plump and lucious Matzah balls - Wednesday in time for our 6 pm seder dinner - BIG FAT FAIL!
Thank god.... the first place I called had tons of boxes. I put them on hold at the front counter and Philip swung by on his way home from work to the trusty Harris Teeter to snag them up and another 18 eggs so I could fix my mess.
yet another snafu.
He purchased two different kinds of Matzah ball mix. One was Matzah Ball Mix with 2 packets of mix, the other was Matzah Ball & Soup Mix with only 1 packet of mix. I didnt realize this. (yup.. I was using the mix at this point folks, no denying my panic as 4;30, 5, 5:30 was creeping up on the clock). So two extra eggs and two tablespoons of canola oil later the mix was ready to sit in the refridgerator for 15 minutes while I quickly got dressed, put on my face and ran back down to make my balls.
some major praying going on at this point.
40 more balls dropped into the boiling pot. all of them were expanding. booyah. perfect. fluffy. just right. im sticking to the box from here on out.
80 matzah balls later and a whole lot less soup broth than I started with... we were on time for seder dinner. i present to you the matzah balls.... sans the soup broth....
Evidently it was all amazing. I must admit the matzah balls were good, but the soup was even better....although by the time it was all served they were luke warm or cold. humpf. so much more me and my perfectionist jewish mother wannabe self.
catastrophe adverted. mission accomplished.
i can live on as a jewish mother in training.
-----
A friend of mine sent me this cute little photo that she edited of me during her free time that I found amusing especially since her timing was impeccable. This came before the fiasco. Thanks Sara B for this wonderful and much needed laugh!
It reads " A little Passover message from a guest soon to arrive (not Elijah)...I love my Matzah Ball Mommy, Keep the yummies coming! With love from Asher"
Here are some details for our lovely Passover Seder which Philip led and did an amazing job! The beautiful seder plate. We actually had 3! Gefilte Fish...which I don't eat but it was presented very pretty!
The tables ready for the guests!
What pregnant woman isnt eyeing the desserts before dinner ???
Thanks to pregnancy I will not be eating matzah all week. That is a constipation recipie for disaster....but I sure do love some Passover food and yummy cookin courtesy of our mommy's!
Renee,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your matzah ball mess! What a story to remember though, and tell your kids! It is wonderful for them to see us "mess up" and make mistakes... They learn very quickly that no one is perfect and even Mommy messes up!
Your seder dinner looked great. I love the way the tables were decorated. And I have studied so much about passover and the seder meal; the symbolism and remembrance is so neat! Please keep the details coming about what ya'll will do this week!
I love it! Great story and looks like a great meal. How cool that Philip got to lead it too! I'm like Tara, I look forward to hearing about your week!
ReplyDelete