Thursday, April 16, 2009

We are addicted

...to our yard.

We cant seem to get enough of planting, fertilizing and watching things grow and grow. We are still beginner's and have lots to learn, but the joy we get out of our lawn makes me giddy.

I hate that I am very limited as to what I can do in the yard this year. We use a lot of different fertilizer's and it is not worth taking a chance with the pregnancy. We have finally completed laying pine straw (which I did in fact help!). I think we ended up using 20 bales!

If only I had a couple extra grand I would rip out all of this Bermuda Grass that is AWFUL and put down fescue. I can't tell you how much we hate Bermuda. It is constantly tracked into our home during the dormant season by all things with leg's particularly 4 leg's!



This weekend we decided to rip out 4 azalea's that had died from the cold and not so wise placement on our part's last year. We ended up buying 10 more azalea's (see above), 2 white heather bushes, 1 large hydrangea plant and 8 new hostas. Philip did an AMAZING JOB creating new beds on either side of the patio, putting down weed protector and planting the new bushes and plants. We are so excited about what the next year holds for these plants.

Brand spanking new bed with Azalea's, hostas and the hydrangea

Newly expanded bed to go around the air conditining unit (if they survive!)

THE FINAL PRODUCT (with ugly straw Bermuda Grass that needs to be moved!)

Most of what we planted last year has almost tripled in size. It is amazing to look back and see how skimpy everything was last year compared to this year. Our "staple trees" (the one's everyone in the neighborhood get when you build your new home) are the largest, bushiest and greeniest on our street. Again... this makes me giddy.

side note: after we took this photo we left the patio as is. the next day the wind got really bad and our umbrella went flying out of the base, knocked over a chair and the chair crushed the umbrella and it broke. so sad. we barely even used that umbrella last year and just put it out this weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Renee and Philip,

    When you complete your yard, please feel free to come do ours. We don't find the same satisfaction in yard work that you do, and would be happy to share the joy of our yard with you! Ha ha ha.

    All jokes aside, your yard looks fantastic! I love all the new bushes you picked out and know that they will be beautiful in years to come! And I'm so sorry to hear about your umbrella! (Ours has done the same thing- The wind just grabs it and off it goes!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our umbrella got dimolished by wind last year...Hailey and I were watching from the window in a huge thunderstorm as it tore to shreds, and she was crying hysterically at the sight of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Renee! I found your blog through Stella. You are too cute with your sweet preggy belly! Wishing you the best of luck and blessings for the remainder of your pregnancy and your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete