Friday, July 10, 2009

Chunky Monkey

Friday the 10th was Asher's one month check up... and my reality check.
THIS BOY IS GETTING CHUNKY!


Dr. Samarel our pediatrician is a wonderful family friend and I truly look forward to our visits in his office. Asher also loves him and is instantly calmed in his arms (which is so comforting to me!)... we will see if things stay that way after his first shot appt next month.

Asher was dead asleep when we got there. I had to get him undressed which he didnt seem to mind until we stretched him on the chart to get his height... oy boy did he let out a cry, more like a scream...bloody murder woman!

Asher stats:
21 1/2 inches - 25/50th percentile
10 lbs 2 oz - 75th percentile (pretty impressive for weighing 6 lbs 6 oz only 3 weeks ago!)
No head measurement, but its HUGE - 95th percentile!

Dr Samarel said that his measurements are great and confirmed that I must be giving him more than enough with his feedings. I have to be honest after prior weight loss I was concerned.

I have to keep an eye on his stomach problems because he might have a slightly unique case of "colic" or "reflux" that doesnt include the spitting up (thank goodness for now). His stomach gets rock hard, he screams and he tenses up. Its very distinct. The issue is he isnt going #2 often and we think this is part of it...when he goes, its a BLOW OUT... I mean OUT OF THE DIAPER, up the back soaking the clothes and me and results in a bath immediately as well as a load of laundry.

Now that he has put on some weight we are going to move to cloth diaper's.... WISH ME LUCK!
Im sure I will have many stories to tell as I make this journey to cloth!

A maternal diet might be the next thing on our lists (oy!). bye bye dairy.
oh how I love cheese, milk, chocolate and the list goes on.
but I love this boy oh so much more...

3 comments:

  1. Get used to blow outs until he starts solids! I got so fed up one time when it was just one of the fifty plain white onesies I got a pair of scissors and cut it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Great job with the 10 pounder! He looks great. We had the same issue with Tate and reflux. No spitting up, just "refluxing" during/after a meal and I could tell it's painful. And the rock hard stomach thing is so pitiful. He would draw up his knees in pain and scream. And a lot of his issues surround pooping too. So I feel ya there. We tweaked his feeding schedule (roughly) and he's on Zantac (which has helped immensely). No more evening screaming fits, although he still gets very fussy around that time. I've given up dairy, caffeine, and other major food offenders. Things started around 3 weeks and he's now 9 weeks and doing much better. Plus, I know him a bit better and if he's screaming during a feeding, I wait a bit and try again instead of getting frustrated and forcing it. Anyway, enough about me. I just wanted you to know you're not the only one dealing with immature GI issues out there. I'm here if you want to compare notes!

    Bottom line ________________ You're doing an awesome job and your boy is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Renee! Just found your blog. Your boy is such a cutie! Good luck with cloth diapers. We love our bumgenius and highly recommend cloth diapering!!

    ReplyDelete