Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Date night!

Philip and I are going to try to do date night fairly often. It is important to us to keep our marriage strong and spending quality time together is one way we like to do that!
We have no excuse...with both sets of parents dying to watch him.

But before we get to date night I must highlight my gem of a husband. 
As you have read things have been a little bit of a roller coaster for me with my "anxiety".
Philip knows exactly how to handle every situation with the right words or gestures just enough to set me at ease. One of the many reasons I married this wonderful man. 

Friday I decided to take some ME time and dropped Asher off at Softa's house. I went and got a manicure pedicure with a gift certificate from Softa for my birthday 4 months ago. It was great to have a little ME time. As I was sitting there I saw Philip walk in the door of the nail salon. I thought to myself..."what a wonderful surprise!" He wasnt the only surprise! He brought me a single red rose to brighten my day and to tell me he loved me. I was the luckiest girl in the world at that very moment. I sure do love him!

...so back to date night...

The date was on the calendar back in the 2nd trimester. 
Joe Firstman (Fuerstman is how he really spells it, but Firstmas is his stage name) was coming home from LA to perform at Neighborhood Theatre. Philip grew up with Joe. They used to run the streets together... no I am not lying when I say this. Despite his mother's wishes they would walk up and down the some of the not so safe streets in Charlotte together at a young age cutting up. 

Philip and Joe after the concert

Joe getting his groove on...

Everyone on stage. The mandolin player was a special guest just for the Charlotte show!


Joe has amazing talent. He has produced several albums, toured and most recently he was the house band on the Carson Daly show for the past several years. Every summer he makes a stop in Charlotte on his tour and we love hearing him and his band. 

So it was a date. Asher was 6 1/2 weeks old. I was dead set that I was going to put him down to sleep. It was 7:00 PM. He usually goes down between 9-10. He hadnt had a nap all day, partially our fault for planning a busy day, so I knew he would sleep and was ready for bed time at 7. Everything went smoothly and he went down perfectly. Nana and Poppy came over and watched movies while Asher slept and mommy and daddy had some big kid time. 

We didnt really eat dinner so we stopped at this cute coffee shop and we got a smoothie and a Frappucino. Then walked back across the street to go to the show. We sat in the front row at the concert....and I really enjoyed singing along. Im a huge fan. We bought his new CD...which is fabulous. The concert was over at 11:30... I was tired and engorged (yup... I said it!) BUT... we had heard about this 24/7 French Bakery called Amelie's that was only a mile away.


It's date night... so we found the bakery! It was 11:45 and the place was packed. They are open 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year! This place is amazing. The pastries and the desserts are to die for (wow, I sound like my grandfather). We brought my parents home an Eclair and a Chocolate croissant thanking them for watching Asher. We also bought a caramel brownie, Eclair, Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffin and Twice Baked Chocolate Croissant for ourselves. AMAZING. If you are in Charlotte. Find Amelies.... located off N. Davidson and Jordan. Worth every calorie or gram of fat... and available any time of day.

Asher was a peace. He slept the entire time. We went to bed at 12:30 and he woke up at 1:30. He slept 6 1/2 hours!!!!

Date night was a success and was much needed.
And of course I wouldnt be a good friend/wife if I didn't pitch Joe Firstman and his music. Go check it out. His style is folk rock and it always puts me in a good mood!



2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic night! Jamie and I try to do date nights often too, because you are right: It is so important to keep your marriage strong and in a top priority! Quality time is key to doing that!!!!

    I love that you heard your friend in concert and that Asher was so good for your parents while you were gone. And you had my mouth watering over those pastries! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a date night! In college, I had a weekly standing babysitting job for a family for their date night. It totally showed me how important it is. We definitely don't get out every week but we try to get out often.

    ReplyDelete