Everyone wished me luck or laughed when I mentioned I was going to use cloth diaper's.
I think cloth diaper's are one big misconception. Particularly those from the generations "before us". Everyone still thinks pins, cloth and a service.
I am not sure if it was the nayser's or the environmental/cost reasons why I pursued it so intensely, but I did.
I admit the first two weeks of Asher's life I was real nervous about transitioning to cloth because this boy HATES being wet or dirty. You instantly know his diaper is in need of a changing!
Initally he was too tiny for the 25 cloth diapers and 40+ inserts that I purchased.
Instead we used Huggies Pure and Natural for Newborns. I confess.
I loved them. But they are so expensive. Although I have started collecting coupons because I am obsessed with them.
After his 4 week appointment I decided it was finally time. He was over 10 lbs. He was going through 14+ diapers a day and endless wipes (we use cloth wipes at home too!). The diapers were sitting there screaming "USE ME! USE ME!" Philip encouraged me...constantly asking when we were moving to cloth. After all, we invested some decent money in our cloth diaper stash.
The cloth wipe warmer.
You can even make special recipes for the wipes.
Right now we pour 2 cups water, 2 tbsp of Olive Oil, 2 tbsp of Earth's Best Body Wash.
It smells delicious!
We cant say enough great things about the cloth diapers. Even my initially anti-cloth mom uses them when I bring him over to her house. It is much easier than dealing with all of that trash, running back and forth to buy new diaper's and we never run out (that is unless I don't do laundry for several days!)
So far my favorites are the velcro style diaper's.
They allow for more adjusting in the waist and they don't bunch like the diapers with snaps.
Our velcro diapers include Bum Genius One Size All in One 3.0, Happy Heiney's One Size and Dry Bees Pockets Small and Medium.
Mommy's Favorite the Bum Genius 3.0.
They are the least bulky and the fit the best!
Happy Heiney's!
Softa found these cute diaper's at a boutique in Black Lion.
We have bears and monkeys and they fit fantastic!
Dry Bees Pocket Diaper
Mommy found these buy one get one free while she was pregnant and snagged four. We have two blue and two in black and white cow print. We love these and so does Asher as you can see below. They come in Small, Medium and Large. We have two smalls and two mediums.
I have about 15 Fuzzi Bunz's which is what he is wearing below. They have snaps but at his size they just don't fit right in my opinion. I have several friends that use them and love them so I think eventually we will use them more often. I sure hope since we have the most of this diaper. You can tell Asher is just as thrilled as mommy :)
The wonderful thing about cloth is that you can leave the exterior diaper on for more than one changing... just change out the insert (as long as the exterior isn't wet). Less laundry and less work! I dont stuff the inserts in the pockets. I just lay them against his skin. I got this tip from a cloth diaper junkie.
Philip even loves it...although he is always at work when the poopy diaper's go down. He has yet to deal with that mess...but again its NOT BAD at all.
AND
You don't have to do all this crazy washing etc people tell you about.
I do a rinse spin cycle and then a regular normal cycle...and everything dries quickly in the dryer. Right now I use Seventh Generation Baby detergent but have been told by other cloth mommy's that other brands work just as good that you can buy at Target and are safe for babies with sensitive skin.
Half of our cloth diaper stash....but no inserts
So, don't be afraid. Give it a try. You can save a lot of money and help the environment!
And it's OK to use an occasional regular diaper! We keep a stash of Huggies Pure and Natural around the house in the right size. You never know when you will need one.
Oh and if your curious... we wont do overnight travel with Cloth unless we have easy access to a washer dryer. We do however use cloth when we leave the house. We use biodegradable trash bags that are powder scented to store the inserts or diapers until we can get home to wash them.
And just for good measure...Me and My buddy Bella after a long day of changing in and out of cloth diapers so mommy could take photos of me! Look at that clef chin!
We are going to try this out next time! I will be calling you for all your advice!!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're enjoying cloth so much! I think Asher looks just like Philip! And I don't know if things have changed since last year when I was using cloth, but most detergents wear down the absorbency of the cloth. I just use a cold rinse with baking soda and then a hot cycle with a free and clear detergent with no softeners or brightenenrs, and white vinegar in a downy fabric softener ball. It's super easy. And I loved fuzzi Bunz when Vaden was at the 3-6 month age. He was a chunky monkey, too. They fit his thunder thighs well without leaking. Hopefully you'll figure out which ones work best in each stage without too many blowouts!
ReplyDeletehandsome kid. his daddy must be a handsome man. . .
ReplyDeleteI like the "Blue steel" look in the teal diaper. he's a natural.
I think the diapers are cute but glad I don't have to wash them!!! Still like the disposables. :)
ReplyDeleteYeah girl! All Small and Mighty plus lavender essential oil- does the trick! I like the part about not stuffing the diaper, that makes sense!!
ReplyDelete